Sunday 17 May 2015

My alphabet of SFF goodness.

My current work in progress has hit a sticky patch, so naturally I'm wasting time on the internet.

Here's the challenge - do it and I'll link yours at the end of this blog.

For each letter of the alphabet choose your favourite fantasy/sci-fi book that you have on your shelves by an author whose surname starts with that letter. Put them in order. Show us!

Here's my alphabet of SFF goodness:


I would have gone with Adam's Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy but couldn't find it on the shelf, just Restaurant at the End of the Universe, and Asimov beats that out.

I absolutely couldn't find an 'E'. We had Ende's Never Ending Story until recently but must have given it to the charity shop. I have Erikson's Gardens of the Moon but haven't read it. Just in shot is Edding's Belgariath the Sorcerer. I haven't read it, but I have read Edding's Belgariath and I enjoyed it when I was 15.


Feist & Wurts Mistress of the Empire was an easy choice, Gemmell (no dust jacket, so photo added) beat out Alan Garner's Moon of Gomrath. Hobb was easy. Had no 'I' so there's John Irving - A Prayer for Owen Meany. It does have a single 'fantasy' element in it. Had no 'J' but I'm saying Wynne is Diana Wynne Jones' middle name! Would have used John Hornor Jacobs' The Incorruptibles but I gave the ARC to a blogger last year.


Stephen King's Wizard and Glass proved tricky to photograph... Lots of good K's but had to go with King. Lots of good Kings but had to go with this, book 4 in the Dark Tower series.


Easy choice for L and M. N was easy as I have few of those. Peake edged Pratchett. Rothfuss pushed out Ryan, Scalzi edged Schafer.
 
 Lord of the Rings had no dust jacket so there's a photo overlaid. I only had one 'V', no 'Y' or 'U', and only one 'Z', but it's a goodie.


11 comments:

  1. Nice! But my books are either at my dad's or digital, although I reckon I could get most of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do I send the pictures to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have to post them on a blog so I could link them.

      Delete
  3. You haven't read Erikson's "Gardens of the Moon"? You've been a bad, bad, bad boy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, go and read all 10 books right now, and for extra punishment the ones by Cameron Esslemont, too. :-D

      Seriously, Malazan is one of my favourite Fantasy series. They'd kick out any other author with E.

      Delete
  4. Is Facebook OK?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's mine! http://tedacross.blogspot.com/2015/05/alphabet-of-sff.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://i.imgur.com/GUSZlA7.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, some of those books look read. If I did the challenge people would think I used cover icons from Amazon or something, because I'm so careful with my books that they don't look read even when I dragged them around a tour along the Baltic Sea coast. :-)

    Though I admit I replaced a somewhat worn single book edition of LOTR with the illustrated series a few years ago, and for some reason, the old Master of Rome series (Colleen McCullough) mmpaperbacks were falling apart despite my care, so I bought new ones with a better binding. Saving money on mmpaperbacks isn't the way to go, obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's mine!

    http://tonyhealey.com/2015/06/01/an-alphabet-of-sff-goodness/

    ReplyDelete