Thursday 19 December 2013

Books I read in 2013

I can't legitimately do a top 10 as everyone else seems to ... the shameful truth is that I only read 10 works of fiction this year. So all of them would quality as 'top' automatically.

However, I enjoyed all of the books I read in 2013. Some more than others it's true, but all had their moments and none was a chore.

Presented in no particular order (though She Who Waits just steals first place over strong competition)


The Incorruptibles by John Hornor Jacobs



I'm currently 3/4 through this and it's looking like another strong contender for best book I've read in 2013. Set in an alternative 'wild west' very loosely modelled on our world with demon-driven six-shooters and paddle steamers, this is a great read. The prose is very strong - powerful, touching on poetic from time to time, but never wordy or flowery. The characters are brilliantly drawn and the story engages, leaving you unsure at each stage how things will go and where we'll end.


Tomorrow, The Killing - Daniel Polansky


I review it HERE. Excellent noir fantasy.


She Who Waits - Daniel Polansky


I review it HERE. Superb finale!


The Daylight War - Peter Brett


I review it HERE. Great to return to this world/characters.


Breach Zone - Myke Cole


I read a beta copy and am reserving my review until the end of January on request. (It's great, best of the series!)


Tainted City - Courtney Schafer


I review it HERE. Excellent 2nd book.




The City - Stella Gemmell


I review it HERE. Very well written, much to recommend it!



Swords of Good Men - Snorri Kristjansson


I review it HERE. Original and fascinating.


Grim Company - Luke Scull






I review it HERE. Great imagination, good fun.



The Bull and The Spear - Michael Moorcock


I review it HERE. A return to my formative reading.


2 comments:

  1. Wow. Swords of Good Men is a new release that flew completely under my radar, I had never heard of it. But now I must have it. On your list i have read Tainted City, The City, and Grim Company. And I agree, all were enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have my Best of 2013 list posted tomorrow. I don't see a lot of overlap here, but I suspect your name will come up somewhere. :)

    ReplyDelete